Tuesday, March 29, 2011

privilege








"On May Day, just after leaving her fiancé, 23-year-old Evelyn McHale wrote a note. 'He is much better off without me ... I wouldn't make a good wife for anybody,' ... Then she crossed it out. She went to the observation platform of the Empire State Building. Through the mist she gazed at the street, 86 floors below. Then she jumped. In her desperate determination she leaped clear of the setbacks and hit a United Nations limousine parked at the curb."
-Time magazine, May 1947

Apparently this is pretty well-known, but I'm pretty historically uninformed. You can tell because it took me 64 years to blog this
Anyways, re-appropriating this is kind of a dick in the face seeing as nothing could ever do the original photo justice. but then, pop art is always a dick in the face. Andy fucked with this one too.
I would high five her grave if I didn't disrespect her enough already. Self deprecation and unbridled commitment had a threesome with endearing as fuck and had a crazy baby named Evelyn's Last Choice. Over half a century later some retard with a blog and tablet got inspired
for real though I found out about my new girlfriend by way of a Parenthetical Girls song I'm not too crazy on, aptly titled Evelyn McHale.
They're dope if you can look past the blinding indie.
here's one that entirely veers off the subject of Evelyn McHale

No comments:

Post a Comment